Friday, October 29, 2010

Wax Dipped Pine Cones

Last year for our Christmas Ornament Exchange, I made some wax-dipped pine cones and added a cinnamon stick and holly leaves and berries to the bottoms. There is something about pine cones that says Christmas to me, and the wax on them really enhances their natural beauty.

Well, earlier this fall, my daughter-in-law asked if I still had any pine cones left, and wondered if we could make some more. I mentioned to a new blogging buddy who lives in Alabama that I would love to have a box of the pine cones he was burning in his brush pile, and he sent me some! I still had some red wax left from last year, but I also purchased some golden and brown colored candles to use as well.
This is a bowl (also a gift from a different blogging friend!) full of the three colors. I don't add wicks to them because I don't want anyone to think they are candles--that would be a disaster of monumental proportions! However, these can be nestled in amongst some kindling and started with a piece of paper beneath them, and they add a nice light fragrance and relatively long burning kindling aid to help get the fire going.

Of course, they are also very nice to use as a centerpiece--just be sure you don't put them on anything that would stain, as the wax is an oil based product and could stain linens or other surfaces, especially if it gets warm.

I have packaged them for sale in clear cellophane wrap, three cones (one of each different color/scent) to a package. The scents are not overpowering--I am fairly sensitive to fragrance, and they have not bothered me--but mingle together to make a pleasant potpourri of holiday scents. Cost $7.50 per package of three.

These would make a nice inexpensive gift for an office gift exchange, or for a teacher, co-worker or neighbor. Put in a basket with some homemade cookies and your gift would be the envy of the party!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I had no idea that the things I "cuss" at every fall could be used to make something so beautiful.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...