The challenge of making an ATC without using any paper was one I readily embraced.
Before I get into the description, I learned yesterday my phone has an option to select the type of light source. The photo above is using the fluorescent option...it is actually pretty close to perfect color match!
Here is another before I discovered that. You can see some of the elements better, but the color was baaaad!
I started with a piece of Plexiglas from an old poster frame. I cut a 2.5 x 3.5" piece using my Tonic/Tim Holtz scissors. Two sides were finished because I cut from the corner, but the other two sides had little cracks all along the edge. :( My swap partner works with metal, so I opted to just cover up the cracks, but before I did that, I used alcohol inks to marble the Plexiglas. The copper was leftover from a project and was easily cut with the Tonic scissors. I got out a long handled lighter and carefully added some patina to the copper, then hammered it flat--or at least flattER.
I glued the copper on (and all the rest of the elements) with Fusion glue. The corner is brass, meant to go on the corner of a book cover. It helps hold everything together, just in case the glue doesn't. I added cork leaves, punched and painted with twinks, a circle punched from walnut veneer, an acetate clock face embellishment, a 7 Gypsies hourglass rubbing, some old watch gears and a couple rounds of thin copper wire.
The back is painted with a metallic white acrylic paint so it would help the Plexiglas shimmer from the front, and give me a place to sign my work.
In all I was VERY pleased with the outcome. It was great fun to use things out-of-the-ordinary to create this, and I am sure it will not be my last challenge of this nature!


Okay, that is beyond cool. :P
ReplyDelete-andi
That is wicked cool. I love using watch parts too!
ReplyDeleteBonus: Today I got rated with a 5 and a heart for this from the recipient and he said, "Wow! Very Cool Card! Very well made and cool to look at! This is the best 'non-paper' ATC in my collection!" We are going to do a private swap so I can get one back from him! :)
ReplyDelete