Thursday, August 22, 2013

Childhood Treasures and Colored Autumn Leaves ATC

 This first ATC is for a swap called Jigsaw Puzzle. The elements are to contain three pieces of a puzzle (not drawn or images, but actual pieces) and a butterfly.  Nailed it! :)  I have named this one Childhood Treasures and added an old advertisement paper in the background (printed scrapbook paper) and a couple other things a little boy might collect.  It is hard to see in the photo, but I added a tiny little watch gear on the puzzle pieces.  I painted those with some Luminarte Silks shimmery acrylic paints, then dropped some distress walnut ink and daubed it off. 
This ATC is for a swap for beginners: Colored Autumn Leaves.  I used the same silks paints to highlight the paper leaves, and put on a little hand from a clock just to give a different element to it.  Before that it seemed pretty boring.  I'm not absolutely sure it is done even yet, but for now, I am calling it so...

I made two of both of these, one to send and one to keep for my big canvas project.  I have some interesting swaps coming up, one is a diptych (two ATCs hinged to make a complete picture) and another is watercolor.  I set up a new swap in one of the groups I am in called "Ticket to Ride."  Its main theme is to use a ticket of any type (parking, lottery, movie, airplane, etc.) somewhere on the ATC.  I have started decorating the envelopes I use to send them, and making a card that fits the theme when possible.  

6 comments:

  1. Love the fall colours. Do you have to go to the craft store in order to find all the bits needed to do these cards for the swaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely shop for stuff anymore. I have scads of stuff in my studio that I keep trying to use up, and I recycle stuff as well. There are a few new things on here that I bought at Hobby Lobby last weekend, but all the paper is from my stash, and most of the embellishments I have had for ages. For a long time my hobby was collecting scrapbooking materials! :P

      Delete
    2. I have tons of scrapping stuff too! But like with the puzzle pieces, I am not sure I have any of those!

      Delete
    3. The puzzle pieces I used are from a puzzle I purchased at a yard sale for 25 cents. I took it home and put it together, then saved it onto a large cookie sheet where I still have it mostly assembled in a drawer in my studio under a pile of other stuff. It was missing some pieces, or I would have added it to my collection (I love working puzzles!) but I had started doing mixed media art, and wanted to include some pieces, so whether it had all the parts or not, I still figured it was a good deal.

      Same with games- like scrabble and monopoly. Various parts are fun to incorporate in stuff, but you can find old games pretty cheap at yard sales. I don't really need to add anything to my stash, but when I see something that might go on a project (I always have hundreds of them running around in my head!) I snag it if it is cheap enough.

      Delete
  2. How do people come up with these ideas? And how do you always execute them so perfectly?

    -andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, shucks. I don't think I execute them so perfectly, but I am usually happy enough with the results. I come up with ideas at odd times, and with no regular stimulus. My mind wanders, I see something, it sparks an idea, and off I go. I really don't have a good answer for how people come up with the ideas, but it seems pretty natural.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...